The city of Sydney, Australia has been a popular tourist destination for a long time. The city has some of the nicest attractions that cater to travelers of any city in the region. The city itself is beautiful, both architecturally and in terms of how well it is maintained, and is something that its residents should be very proud of. The city has had a long and interesting history too and there are a number of worthwhile historical sites and museums there that are more than capable of fully telling its story.
There is a great amount of information known about the city, but here are five things you may not know about Sydney, Australia.
1. The National Rugby League is the largest rugby league competition in the entire world. There are sixteen teams that compete in the National Rugby League and nine of them call the city of Sydney home. They are the Canterbury Bulldogs, Cronulla Sharks, Manly Sea Eagles, Penrith Panthers, parramatta Eels, South Sydney Rabbitohs, St. George Illawarra Dragons, Sydney Roosters, and the Wests Tigers.
2. The main airport serving the city of Sydney is the Sydney Airport which is sometimes referred to as Kingsford Smith Airport. It was originally built in 1933 with all of the runways being made of gravel. It was completely redone in the 1960s and the current version was officially opened in 1970 with Queen Elizabeth II participating in the ceremony.
ROYAL NATIONAL PARK
3. The Royal National Park which sits just south of the city of Sydney and in fact marks the city’s southern border was established in the spring of 1879 by the activing Premier of New South Wales, Sir John Robertson. It is thought to be the second oldest government mandated National Park in the entire world (after the United States’ Yellowstone National Park).
QUEEN VICTORIA BUILDING
4. One of the more popular shopping centers in Sydney right now is the Queen Victoria Building located in the downtown area. The building takes up an entire city block and offers visitors a number of chances to purchase a wide variety of items. Construction on the building was completed in 1898 and over the years it has served in a number of capacities including a concert hall, showroom, library,and even city council offices.
5. Sydney Harbour was the location of the first European settlement on the continent of Australia. The early settlers and governor described the location in dispatches back to England as “the finest harbour in the world”. Today it is home to two of the city’s most recognizable landmarks, the Sydney Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
If you plan to visit Sydney, use a service like orbitz. Use an orbitz coupon for additional savings to destination such as Sydney. Orbitz usually has promotions to popular Australian destinations. Check sites and look for a decent orbitz promotion.
Visiting the city of Sydney is a great idea for anyone even contemplating a vacation to Australia. The city offers a number of popular attractions including a lively nightlife, a great shopping district, wonderful eating establishments, stunning views, and even some of the nicest natural areas in the region. The city of Sydney has been attracting visitors for more than a hundred years, and with very good reason. It offers precisely what most vacationers are looking for, a great amount of things to do combined with a fun and relaxing atmosphere. Spending time in the city of Sydney is something any traveler to Australia should make sure to do.